Current MLS Listings in Clarksburg
16520 COMUS ROAD
Listing office: Long & Foster Real Estate, Inc.
MLS® ID: MC9994748
History of Dickerson, MD
Dickerson was officially founded in 1871. It was named after its first postmaster, William H. Dickerson, who served from 1873 to 1897. The earliest land grant known to have been given out in the land that is now Dickerson was granted to Arthur Nelson: He received 97 acres in 1739. Most of what is now considered Dickerson originally belonged to Nathan Hempstone.
Before the Civil War, Dickerson was little more than a couple roads, a store, and a few houses. After the Civil War, the population began to rise more sharply. This was because after the Civil War, the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company were able to continue their hunt for a route to place the Metropolitan Branch. Travelers wanted a way to travel west toward the capital and other places without having to go to Baltimore first. They decided on a route that passed through Dickerson and began construction. The railroad line going from Dickerson to Point of Rocks, MD was finished in 1871; the entire line was open for public use in 1873.